Last modified: October 17, 2018
Information Collection and Use
What Information We Collect: We collect the following personally identifiable information about our users: contact information (such as name, physical address telephone number(s), and e-mail address), information used to create your online account (such as username, password and security question and answer), purchase and customer service history, payment or banking information, location data (depending on your app settings and device permissions), usage details, and other information voluntarily provided by you (“Personal Information”). We aggregate and de-identify Personal Information for data analytics and other business purposes. Such aggregated and de-identified information is not deemed Personal Information. At times we may also collect information which does not necessarily personally identify a user such as your server or connection’s unique identifier, the device, browser and version you are using, IP address, the web pages you visited prior to arriving to our Site and once you leave, action on the Site, and searches (“Other Information”). When you use our Application with a Copper Labs device that monitors and collects energy use (“Copper Labs Device”), we will monitor and collect your energy use as detected by the Copper Labs Device.
We may also collect information through cookies or other similar tracking technology to provide you with a personalized user experience and analyze how we can best provide you targeted information.
Mobile Device IDs: If you’re using our app, we may collect mobile device IDs (the unique identifier assigned to a device by the manufacturer) rather than cookies, to recognize you. We do this to store your preferences and track your use of our Applications. Unlike cookies, mobile device IDs cannot be deleted.
- Notify you about new product releases and service developments.
- Present insights about your energy use, including to assess your use and make recommendations to you or your utility provider.
- Analyze and improve the functionality of our Site, Application, hardware, and related services.
- Improve our products, services, and business.
- Perform data analytics (such as market research, trend analysis, financial analysis and customer segmentation).
- Provide customer support.
- Authenticate your identity and protect against and prevent fraud and other unlawful activity, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
How We Disclose Your Information: We share your Personal Information and Other Information in accordance with applicable law and as described below.
- Information may be shared with service providers we have retained to perform services on our behalf.
- Copper Labs may disclose information if we believe that it is necessary to respond to requests from a legal, regulatory or governmental authority; enforce our terms of service or other agreements; protect and defend our legal rights, or prevent, detect, or investigate security concerns, including fraud.
- We may share your information with your electric, gas or water utility pursuant to an agreement we may have with them, or when you otherwise consent to allowing us to share such information via our Site or the Application.
- We reserve the right to transfer to relevant third-parties any information we have about you in the event of a potential or actual sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation) or other business combination.
- We will share and disclose information in accordance with your consent or permission.
How to Review and Revise Your Personal Information: We enable you to have control over the accuracy of your personal information. You may send us an e-mail at email@example.com to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to delete or change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement, cause the information to be incorrect, or for any other legally allowable reason.
How We Protect Your Personal Information: We will take reasonable measures to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, alteration, or destruction, and, where possible, will ask that any third parties to whom we transfer your personal information take comparable steps to maintain that security. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet or over mobile networks is not completely secure. So, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have concerns, do not use our Site or Application.
Notice to California Residents/Do Not Track: California residents visiting our Site may request that we not automatically gather and track information pertaining to their online browsing movements across the Internet. Such requests are typically made through Web browser settings that control signals or other mechanisms that provide consumers the ability to exercise choice regarding the collection of personally identifiable information about an individual consumer’s online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 also permits California residents to opt-out of our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes or to learn the categories of recipients and information disclosed. You may request the information in writing at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that this opt-out does not prohibit our disclosure of personal information for any purpose other than direct marketing.
Leaving Our Site and/or Linking to Third Parties: Because our Site is secure, your browser URL will inform you if you are leaving a secured portion of the Site. We strive to ensure that any information you send us is safe. When you leave this Site and go to another linked site, we are not responsible for the content or availability of the linked site. Please be advised that we do not represent either the third party or you, if you enter into a transaction on the third party site. Further, the privacy and security policies of the linked site may differ from those practiced by us. We are not responsible for the practices of any partners or resellers including those who have a link on our Site.